Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pattern Review - McCall's M5744 Gown

 I used McCall's M5744 pattern, option D for Big Sis's gowns this year. She and I both love this sweet gown! It was really fun and simple to sew and she loves the fit. The sizing was great, which isn't always the case for us with commercial patterns. I've not even put this pattern away yet, as I want to make at least one more before I do. I know we'll be pulling this one back out when it's time to size up too. 
We thought it was especially cool that we ended up having the same exact fabric as was featured on the cover too! :)
 The Kimono style bodice makes for an easy on and off option without the need for closure or elastic. I love the look of the bias trimmed edges too. She was really pleased with the little added touch of the yo-yo on this version.

And alternatively, we used a wide ric rac trim to accent the owl gown shown here with Little Sis's version. See the Little Sister gown Pattern Review here.

SUMMARY
Sewing Experience Level: Beginner
Size Range: Youth 7-14
Special Techniques: Bias Trim, Attaching Sleeves
Pattern Format: Paper
Materials Used: Flannel, Extra-Wide Double Fold Bias Tape, optional embellishments.
Personal Notes: Quick, easy to sew pattern that wears comfortably and is sized well. Definitely a pattern I will sew again!
Photobucket

3 comments:

Leigh said...

It looks great! Thanks for the review, and I might pick that up during a sale!

TammyW said...

I used this pattern two years ago to make PJs for my nieces for Christmas. I made two of the Option C gowns and one set of the pants with a the long sleeved top. I also used flannel and I was pleased with how easy they were to make. They were also a huge hit with the girls.

Melissa said...

Another great review! Thank you for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...